The quick answer: Not recommended. Though accidentally sneaking a lick of butter will not hurt, you should not intentionally feed butter or margarine to your pet.
Pets shouldn’t eat butter, margarine, or other cooking oils. Eating significant quantities of fat in a small amount of time can be taxing on the pancreas and lead to pancreatitis. This is a painful condition that includes fever, vomiting, diarrhea, irregular heart rate, and abdominal pain. Butter is also high in cholesterol which can be dangerous for heart health.
In addition to its high fat content, margarine consists of a number of chemicals and preservatives, making it a hard pass when it comes to your dog’s diet.
Vegetable oils may pose allergy threats to pets because some vegetable oils contain corn and soybean products.
Butter is not toxic to dogs, so don’t worry if your dog licks up a small amount. It’s likely to be harmless, but you may want to keep a close watch on him for the next 24 hours. However, if your dog is able to get his paws on a large amount of butter or cooking oil and gobble it up (as most dogs do when presented the opportunity to try a new human food), he will likely experience vomiting and diarrhea and it’s best to seek veterinary care.
ScritchSpot is your one-stop destination for all things pet. Store and share your pet notes and records, browse the map of pet-friendly spots, find pets in your area to adopt, find pet care, read product reviews, and much more. Sign up for free to get full access today.