Can Dogs Eat Grapes & Raisins?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes & Raisins?

by Scritch

The quick answer: No, your dog should never eat grapes or raisins because they are toxic to pets.

A staple of cheese plates and picnics, grapes and raisins might seem like a healthy snack, but pet parents should know that both are downright toxic for dogs. They can cause serious complications including acute kidney failure and sadly, even death. Dogs should not eat grapes and raisins; even small amounts can prove to be fatally poisonous.

If your dog has eaten grapes or raisins, this is an emergency, needing immediate vet attention. If you are positive that your dog ingested grapes or raisins within the last two hours, call the pet poison hotline and get your pup over to the emergency vet. If you are absolutely sure, you may need to induce vomiting before the toxins can be fully absorbed, unless your dog is unconscious, having trouble breathing, or showing signs of shock.

Any dog can experience grape toxicity, no matter what age, breed, size, or gender, if they have eaten a grape or raisin.

Symptoms

Toxicity symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, tremors, and an increase in urination followed by a decrease or absence of urination. Kidney failure due to toxicity can be fatal within three to four days.

Whether you induce vomiting or not, you must take your pup to a vet immediately. Your veterinarian may need to administer treatment as well as activated charcoal to prevent absorption of anything remaining in your dog’s stomach.

Treatment

If your dog hasn’t already vomited, your veterinarian will start by inducing vomiting if the ingestion has occurred within the last two hours. This is followed by gastric lavage (“washing out” of the stomach) and administering activated charcoal to absorb any residual toxins. IV fluids may be necessary in order to fully flush out your dog’s system, and your vet might administer further medications to maintain healthy kidney function.

Prevention

Keep raisins and grapes out of paw’s reach and make sure all friends, family, and guests are aware that grapes are toxic. If you think your dog has ingested raisin or grapes, acting immediately gives your dog the best chance at survival.

Scritch is your one-stop destination for all things pet. Store and share your pet notes and records, browse the map of pet-friendly spots, find pets in your area to adopt, find pet care, read product reviews, and much more. Sign up for free to get full access today.