The quick answer: Yes, dogs can eat honeydew as it is not toxic to dogs.
Benefits of honeydew
Honeydew melon is a refreshing summer fruit that is a good source of vitamin C, potassium, and dietary fiber. Comprised of 90% water, honeydew is a very hydrating snack for both pets and people on a hot day.
To serve, remove the rind and seeds and cut honeydew fruit into bite-sized pieces that are appropriate for your dog’s size, or use a melon baller. On hot days, you can freeze melon chunks for an extra cold treat. This low-calorie fruit makes a good substitute for calorie-dense dog treats. Plus, the extra fiber can help a dog on a diet stay full longer.
It’s important to remove the seeds and rind of a honeydew melon before sharing this tasty snack with your pup. The seeds are not toxic but could pose a choking hazard. Additionally, the rind of a honeydew melon is tough and difficult to digest. Swallowing a large piece of the rind could cause choking or an internal blockage.
Consuming too much honeydew at once could mean tummy troubles for your dog, so be sure to limit the amount of fruit you share. Because honeydew is full of fiber, eating too much can lead to vomiting or diarrhea.
This fruit contains natural sugars, so it’s best to consult your vet before sharing with a diabetic dog. As with all foods and treats outside of your dog’s regular meals, moderation is key to maintain good health. The general rule of thumb is that added fruits and veggies should make up no more than 10% of your pet’s diet.